Saturday, July 17, 2010

Great laundry detergent alternative

Ok, everyone that uses detergent and softener (sheets/stick in bar/liquid) - or detergent/softener combo raise your hand.  Just as I thought - almost all of you.  Those that didn't must already know what I just tried.  I won (Yea Me!!) from SugarPopRibbons.blogspot.com a bag of We Be Soap Nuts.  I've know about them for some time.  But since they aren't available locally, I was hesitant to purchase them.

 They came in a cute little drawstring bag with a second smaller muslin bag and complete directions.  Since the apartment I live in has hard/sulfur water, my landlady uses a water softener.  The directions say if you wash in cold water to soak the nuts in hot water for a few minutes then add the "juice" and muslin bag to your wash.  You just leave it in till the load is done.

I must say, when using fabric softener, my towels were soft and fluffy.  But not too absorbent.  My towels were not only fluffy, but super absorbent.  And they didn't have that "filmy" feel to them.  My clothes are also softer and lacking that heavy perfume smell that some softeners leave.  I know - some even promise to leave that fragrance on your clothes longer.  Since I'm a cologne wearer, I'd rather not have my fabric softener compete with my fragrance.

There are no chemicals in soap nuts.  They are all natural.  Safe for sensitive skin and babies alike.  Did I mention cost effective?  5 soapnuts will wash from 5 - 9 loads depending on the softness of your water.  So how does about 4 cents a load sound?  No extra expense for softener either.

Visit their website, give them a try.  I bet you'll be sold as soon as you try them!

Here's some info from the WeBeSoapNuts.com site - "Soap nuts (Sapindus Mukorossi-botanical name) are dried fruits obtained from trees native to India and Nepal.  They have been used to clean all kinds of fabric for centuries, and only now gaining popularity in the American and Europe as a powerful, yet natural alternative to modern detergent. The saponin contained on its shell releases when it is brought into contact with warm or hot water.  (See directions for cold water.)  Agitation further releases these saponins and then circulates as a natural surfactant.  They break down the surface tension between oil and water in the wash freeing dirt, oils and grime from clothes.  This exact same principle that applies to how most detergents and soaps.  It’s simply not achieved using synthetic chemicals that are harmful to your body"



2 comments:

  1. We used osap nuts in our laundry also. I lost the little bag, and no substitution has worked as well (the nuts come out of the bag no matter how tightly I tie it), so I'll need to get the "official" bag in order to use them again. I really like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm a new follower! Looking forward to reading more posts! I haven't tried soap nuts yet, but I've heard great things about them. I love eco-friendly and non-toxic products. You can also check out my blog at: http://mymoho.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete