Monday, July 12, 2010

Where do I start? I know! Procrastination!





I'll start by going back - and I mean way back. I think it was the summer I was about to start 6th grade. My family always went to the New York State Fair. One of my favorite places to go was the Center of Progress Building. Everything new was showcased there. Fancy pots and pans, vacuum cleaners that didn't have dust bags - they sucked the dirt into water. (Pretty clever, except you were left with a mud puddle in the collection basin.) New fangled this and that.

Plus - to my fascination - there was a machine that could tell everything about you if you signed your name on a card. For the grand sum of $1.00, I thought that was a bargain. I gave the attendant my dollar, and wrote my signature. At the ripe old age of 11 I found out that all indications were that I was a procrastinator! A procrastinator! I could hardly say the word much less guess at the meaning. I showed it to my parents and they just laughed. Guess they were well acquainted with the term. I went home and looked it up in the dictionary. To sum it up - "to put off intentionally and habitually. . the doing of something that should be done." (Merriam-Webster Dictionary) Thus started my long and foot-dragging journey through procrastination. That lasted well into my 50's, by the way.

One day (much, much later-after learning what "that" word meant) I happened to stumble on a web-site that caught my interest. I was probably supposed to be doing something else at the time.  Lo and behold, I just knew it was a serendipity moment. The web-site was Mike Bresica's Think Right NOW! He has CD's to play that repeat affirmations. You hear every word, plus they send you a complete list of all the affirmations.  I bought the "End Procrastination NOW!" CD and played it every night on a continuous loop at a comfortable level - never distracted me from sleeping. After the third night I did something I had never done - ever. I got up and immediately made my bed. No great shakes, right? Well, let me tell you - my norm was to pull the bed together just before I got in to go to sleep. I looked at completely made bed and just stared. What had happened? No waiting till bedtime? It was done? Something was definitely happening to my thought processes. No - one of the affirmations is not "you will make your bed upon rising" - wouldn't that be funny? All positive statements are on the CD's - nothing negative. I highly recommend his CD's. There are also ones for time management, weight loss, sales success, depression and many more. Check out his web-site, let me know what you think!



No comments:

Post a Comment